New velocity limits, site visitors patterns and rights of approach, in addition to employee and automobile motion, can all influence work zone security, placing drivers and employees in danger.
The Federal Freeway Administration (FHWA) has designated April 17-21 as Nationwide Work Zone Consciousness Week to convey consideration to work zone security. This yr’s theme is “You play a job in work zone security. Work with us.”
Security preparation begins earlier than sliding into the driving force’s seat. The FHWA encourages drivers to analysis their route earlier than they got down to their vacation spot. At any time when doable, drivers are inspired to keep away from work zones and use obtainable detours.
When touring by way of a piece zone, the FHWA encourages drivers to maintain the next in thoughts:
- Take note of work zone indicators that point out diminished speeds, lane adjustments and different necessary info.
- Keep away from distractions, together with consuming and consuming, cellphones, radio, GPS and different passengers.
- Decelerate when getting into a piece zone and maintain an eye fixed out for highway employees. Lane closures, site visitors patterns and diminished speeds are widespread in work zones.
- Transfer into the open lane as quickly as doable.
- Be conscious of automobiles round you that could possibly be in your blind spot and watch out to not journey in one other driver’s blind spot.
- Maintain your distance. Rear-end crashes are widespread in work zones. Preserve additional house between your automobile and the one in entrance of you.
- Benefit from your driving peak and anticipate braking conditions.
- Be ready to decelerate or cease out of the blue in a piece zone.
- Get into the right lane effectively upfront of lane closures.
- Be cautious of motorists racing to get forward of you in merged areas.
- Pay attention to your “No-Zone” areas the place crashes usually tend to happen.
For extra info on work zone security, go to the FHWA web site.
By “Transfer Forward” Employees