CloudTrucks carried out a survey of 1,000 U.S. adults about their notion of truck drivers and their data of truck parking points. The survey discovered that whereas Individuals typically had a constructive notion of trucking, greater than half had been unaware in regards to the challenges of truck parking.
Most individuals (56%) surveyed had been unaware of the challenges drivers face find parking services, and that there was a nationwide scarcity of parking for long-haul truck drivers.
Many respondents underestimated what number of hours a trucker is permitted to drive in a day, and multiple in 5 respondents (21%) didn’t know that drivers sleep in a berth of their vehicles.
Slightly greater than midway by the survey, respondents got details about the parking scarcity. After that, 86% of respondents agreed the parking challenges had been a “crucial” (48%) or “important” (38%) drawback, in comparison with 10% who stated it was a “minor” (8%) drawback or “not an issue” (2%), and 4% who stated they weren’t positive.
These surveyed expressed a want for extra Individuals to be taught in regards to the parking scarcity.
- 90% of respondents stated that elevated public consciousness of the disaster is required.
- 90% of these surveyed stated that federal, state, and/or native governments ought to commit extra funding to the issue.
- 57% of respondents really useful that the federal authorities function a supply of funds.
- 67% stated that the federal government ought to “improve funding for truck parking infrastructure, comparable to relaxation areas and truck stops.”
- 43% favored “relaxed zoning and land use laws”
- 40% supported “tax incentives for truck cease chains, trucking firms, and different personal firms.”
About 80% of respondents solely help services which are a minimum of three miles from their properties, and 5% stated they didn’t help new building in any respect. 15% stated they’re snug with services being inside 2 miles of their properties.
What’s the Public Notion of Truck Drivers?
“Whereas some commentators have expressed the priority that destructive perceptions of truck drivers may affect public opinion on truck parking and different trade points, the survey confirmed that Individuals maintain an overwhelmingly favorable view of drivers—saying they’re secure drivers who’re each overworked and underpaid,” CloudTrucks officers stated in weblog put up analyzing the survey knowledge.
Key findings embody:
- 82% of respondents stated drivers are “overworked”, in comparison with 4% who answered “underworked.” The remaining respondents (14%) answered “neither overworked nor underworked.”
- When requested whether or not truck drivers are overpaid or underpaid, 58% of respondents answered “underpaid” in comparison with simply 13% who answered “overpaid.” The remaining respondents answered “neither overpaid nor underpaid.”
- 50% of respondents stated truckers are “safer drivers than most of the people” and 36% stated they’re “neither safer nor much less secure as drivers than most of the people.” Solely 14% stated that truckers are “less-safe drivers than most of the people.”
- When requested why they suppose folks select to grow to be truck drivers, respondents ascribed largely constructive motivations, with 56% of respondents saying it was as a result of they take pleasure in “the liberty of the open street” or “touring to new locations.” One other 31% stated it was to “earn a excessive wage in comparison with different jobs out there.”